View from bridport online dating
Little Moor Council School was built on the old workhouse site in 1891, now replaced by housing. The relatively generous treatment of the inmates made it an expensive place to run — bills in 1772-3 included ones from suppliers of cloth, milk, butter, malt, groceries, veal, beef and mutton, items which would not have been available to those on out-relief. a week to Hannah Sowden for agreeing to leave the workhouse. In 1841, the location was refererred to as Workhouse Fold.
In 1807, the twenty inmates comprised six children, nine women (two bastard-bearers, one wife and the rest widows), two were old men and three were just referred to by their surname and noted as 'old' (King, 1997). Idle's workhouse was at the south side of what is now Windhill Old Road. In 1790, the chapelry of Wibsey converted Odsal Farm into a workhouse. According to Baines' Directory of 1830, North Bierley had a workhouse at Hodgson Moor with John Wilkinson as its Governor. The rapid growth in the population of the Bradford Union led, on 16th September 1848, to the creation of the North Bierley Poor Law Union from a group of suburban parishes and townships around Bradford.
Such an absence of beauty in a collection of human beings we never witnessed.
There were about thirty women and children in the room and we counted no fewer than twenty-six of deficient intellect.
In 1663, the township officials were required to build "a Cottage house — upon ye Waste" to accommodate Isaac Gaunt, his wife, and three small children.
The shop's records include the sale of sewing materials, harding (a coarse linen used to make men's shirts and women's shifts), and wolsey (a softer fabric with a flax warp and wool weft, used for petticoats and shawls).At a meeting of Pudsey's "Town's Committee" on 1st February 1802, it was resolved to "discontinue the poorhouse, the occupants to be disposed of as soon as possible," and at the next meeting, two weeks later, an agreement was made with John Cooper of Littlemoor, "to board the paupers residing in the poorhouse for one year, to commence on the first day of March, 1802, and likewise to find fire for them at the rate of three shillings per week per head, to have their earnings for his own benefit — the poor to have two meat dinners per week, and likewise to be under the inspection of the Committee to see they be well kept." (Rayner, 1887).In 1830, Martin George Crowther was the workhouse Master. The workhouse for Calverley-cum-Farsley was built in 1756 on Calverley's Back Lane, now Blackett Street, at the expense of Sir Walter Blackett (formerly Sir Walter Calverley — he changed his surname as a condition of a inheritance from his uncle). There was a workhouse in Clayton in two cottages on Ramsden Place, off Town End Road.Deformity was the prevailing characteristic of these persons.Idiocy and mental imbecility were marked in almost every visage, both of women and children.